Sunday, September 14, 2014

Image is Everything

All I've heard for years is that what you look like doesn't matter as long as you are a good person. The older I get, the more I realize that this notion just is not true. In high school its hard to wear something other than sweat pants and your body is still changing and growing, so this adage is perfectly applicable there. But in the real world, appearance matters. And I hate to be putting that out there on the internet because I know I have some young readers out there, but its just the truth.

As I packed up to move to Manhattan, I realized that a large majority of my clothing is fit for a 14 year old. I own as much stuff from Forever 21 as I do from J.Crew. No one can be 21 forever and people will make assumptions about me and my age and maturity based on what I am wearing. So I've decided its time for a change. I was at a bar below my apartment the other day and I realized that my jeans and tank top that I wore to babysit that day was no where near as adult an outfit as the business casual people around me. If I don't start wearing clothing like that, how am I supposed to attract like minded people. I want to look professional. I want to look intelligent and adult. I may project that through my mentality and maturity, but without the clothes, that means nothing.

So here is my pledge. To get rid of all the shirts I've had since eighth grade. To start wearing khakis and tailored black pants. To wear button downs and maybe even some nice day appropriate dresses. Then maybe I'll feel like I fit in. Because New York, despite it's diversity, only works if you try to fit.

No comments:

Post a Comment